Enjoy this summery tomato pie!
Be sure to drain tomatoes thoroughly to avoid a runny pie. For easier cutting, place pie in refrigerator for a few hours to cool. Then cut, warm, and serve. For step by step instructions with pictures visit: http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/tomato-pie-recipe/
2-3 fresh tomatoes, cubed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
8 basil leaves, chopped
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 pre-baked pie crust, 9 inch
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Place cubed tomatoes in colander to drain. Sprinkle with black pepper and salt, then stir. Continue to let drain.
3. In mixing bowl, combine cheddar cheese, mozzarella, and mayonnaise. Stir until combined. Set aside.
4. To assemble pie place chopped onion in bottom of pie crust. Sprinkle with chopped basil. Add drained tomatoes, spread evenly in crust. Top with cheese mixture, spread almost to edges of pie crust.
5. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or unƟl lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm and enjoy!